Resources for Parents
We believe that parents are the primary models of faith and most important agents of faith formation for their children. But we know that parents don’t always feel adequate in answering our children’s questions, and need resources that they can rely on. The church is here to help you answer those questions and to point toward the most helpful resources.
As a congregation, we embrace the Faith 5– a devotional practice that helps families connect together and to God. Every night, families are encouraged to Share their highs and lows, Read scripture together, Talk about how the reading relates to their highs and lows, Pray together, and Bless each other. (See the November 2012 Messenger for more information and background).
Here are some more faith formation resources for families with children:
This website offers weekly devotions that can be used during the Faith 5, including readings that are broken down for younger children and including question prompts.
- “Children’s Development of Spirituality” by Katy Abel
A good article describing faith development as related to cognitive development
An excellent question and answer about children’s spirituality with well respected rabbi and expert on children’s spirituality, Sandy Eisenberg Sasso
Podcast, study guide, and resources for study and conversation about the topic of spirituality and parenting
While this blog is designed for those who lead worship with children, it offers good information for anyone who explores the bible with children.
Daily blog on topics of Christian faith and children
Books on God/Faith/Spirituality for Children
- Images of God for Young Children– Marie-Helene Delval (Author), Barbara Nascimbeni (Illustrator)
- Praying in Color Kid’s Edition– Sybil MacBeth
- Psalms for Young Children-Marie-Helen Delval
- God’s Dream– Archbishop Desmond Tutu (Author), Douglas Carlton Abrams (Author), LeUyen Pham (Illustrator)
- Brother Sun, Sister Moon- Katherine Paterson (Author), Pamela Dalton (Illustrator)
- God’s Paintbrush– Sandy Eisenberg Sasso (Author), Annette Carroll Compton (Illustrator)
- Every Day and Sunday, Too– Gail Ramshaw and Judy Jarrett
- Water Come Down– Walter, Jr. Wangerin and Gerardo Suzan
- Jesus, the Word– Mark Francisco Bozzuti-Jones (Author); Shelly Hehenberger (Illustrator)
- Come Worship with Me– Ruth Boling
- Tomie dePaola has hundreds of excellent children’s books about faith, the Bible, holidays, and other fun stories
- Click here for more books
Books for adults about Spirituality and Children
The Secret Spiritual Life of Children– Tobin Hart
Welcoming Children: A Practical Theology of Childhood – Joyce Mercer
Real Kids, Real Faith: Practices for Nurturing Children’s Spiritual Lives– Karen Marie Yust
Camps and Retreats
Messiah participates in a number of local and regional camps and retreats for both youth and adults.
Youth attend Faith Alive Confirmation Camp, as well as Summer Camp Lutheridge. Adults participate in retreats such as Create in Me and Wild Women.
WOW is a local, teen-led service ministry that offers summer ministry opportunities to groups
Youth participate in synod-wide gatherings, such as Affirm summer event, and have attended the National Youth Gathering (which occurs every three years).